In 2017, when I first participated in the Silmaril Awards, I handled the competition for Least Competent Henchman.
The next step is obvious. All my training has prepared me for this moment.
It is time for me to take on the most coveted–and dangerous–of Silmarils…
THE MOST MAGNIFICENT DRAGON AWARD!!!
In case you haven't noticed, I'm very excited about this. And humbled, as well–I felt very honored when Jenelle Schmidt assigned this category to me. I intend to treat this role with all the honor and respect it is due, and to try my level best not to let anybody get immolated.
Now, I know what you're thinking. Or rather, I know it's one of two things. If you're new to the Silmaril Awards, you're probably wondering, “What the heck are they?”
Behold, the Official Explanation from the Official Website:
Started in 2016, these awards are a four week online celebration of all that’s best in fantasy literature. There are ten awards given every year. The characters who receive them have to be from books generally considered to be in the fantasy genre. And a given character cannot receive an award more than once. These are lifetime awards.
Nominations are submitted on the websites of each of the presenters for that year. Anyone can submit a nomination and you can second (and third and fourth, etc.) any number of nominations besides your own.
After the nomination period (lasting one week) ends, the five characters receiving the most nominations will make it onto the ballot and you’ll have one week to vote. After the votes are tallied, the winners will be announced, one per day, over the final two weeks of the awards.
On the other hand, if you already know what's going on, then you may be wondering something else. I've already hosted a bunch of rowdy henchmen and deranged villains in my house, and it didn't go particularly well for me either time. How in the world am I going to manage a bunch of magnificent-but-volatile dragons?
Simple. I'm letting Malcolm handle it. He can put them up in his cave.
Shush, Malcolm. Anyhoo, let's go over the rules:
- All characters created by J.R.R. Tolkien are ineligible to be nominated. With regard to these awards, Tolkien characters are considered the ultimate standards for their respective categories already. As such, they will present the awards at the end of this event.
- These awards are for fantasy characters only, so no science fiction characters are eligible. That said, we are willing to consider characters from a sciencey book if it has enough magicey stuff going on to warrant admission. For example, characters from the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer are admissible due to the presence of some magical elements in that series. If you're not sure whether a character is eligible, let me know and I'll discuss it with the other Silmaril folks.
- When you nominate a character, you must mention the book that the character comes from. I've read a lot, but I haven't read everything, so you may have to help me out.
- Feel free to nominate as many characters as you wish and “second” as many characters as you wish. The top 5 MOST seconded characters will go on to the final voting round.
- If you are an author, you are welcome to participate, but you can't nominate your own characters; sorry. That said, feel free to direct your fans to this event!
- Characters who have won in a particular category in a previous year are ineligible to be nominated for the same award again. The Silmarils are Lifetime Awards. For a list of the previous winners in each category, please check out our Hall of Fame.
- Please remember that these are Fantasy BOOK Awards. A movie character is only eligible for nomination if they were in a book first. Novelizations, tie-in books, etc. after the fact do not count.
- We're doing something new this year–we have a special Facebook group for the people voting in the awards to get together and discuss them! Click here to find out more and to join.
- Finally, don't forget to visit the other blogs and nominate characters for all ten awards! You can find a full list of the other blogs below: